Monitoring Environmental Performance
Energy Improvement: Key Areas
High efficiency motors
- These should be used for all high use new plant and equipment.
Variable speed drives
- Motor type should be checked on all new equipment - it is best to buy a machine
with a VSD, rather than retrofitting at a later date.
- A feasibility study into retroffiting refurbished machines should be undertaken.
- Where electric motors run for long time periods at low loads, motor controllers
should be considered.
- New controllers should be considered with new and refurbished equipment. Fitting
VSD's is perhaps most feasible for old equipment.
- Load sensing control systems should be considered for idling plant to turn plant
off over a specified period.