Monitoring Environmental Performance
Waste Minimisation Strategies
What is waste minimisation?
Generating, treating and disposing of wastes causes a range of environmental
problems. A common improvement strategy in addressing the environmental effects
connected with waste within a company is waste minimisation. This means, the
reduction of waste predominantly at source, rather than focusing upon traditional
"end of pipe" solutions. Often, waste minimisation will involve a
combination of source reduction and recycling to give optimum bottom line returns.
The table below summarises the main benefits of waste minimisation to a company.
Why Minimise Waste?
- Increasing cost of disposing to landfill
- Cost of alternative disposal and treatment options
- High savings through more efficient manufacturing processes and
reduction of raw material use
- Decreased liability through guaranteed compliance with the relevant
The environment and public relations
- Greener, more favourable profile
- Reduction of environmental effects