Monitoring Environmental Performance
Monitoring Air Pollution
Once the pollutants deemed significant for monitoring have been selected, it
is important to select the equipment necessary to measure the emissions. During this
phase of the survey, the following should be considered:
- Pollutant characteristics:
- Is it a liquid, solid or a gas?
- Is it likely to settle / deposit during normal atmospheric
conditions if it is a particulate or stay suspended in the
- The need to find its source.
- The available monitoring devices / instrumentation. (This will be dependent
on such factors as budget, size, in house expertise and market
- Available resources.
The objectives and design of the survey need to be agreed and finalised. All
alternatives should be considered here also and recorded in the survey results.